Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Kun Ming Restaurant and Guitar Hero III

I had the day off on Tuesday as I worked through the weekend. Went to Melbourne and bought the hard to get game, Guitar Hero III for PS3. Believe me, I've been on the look out for the game since January. Each time I went to JB Hi-fi or EB Games they'd be out of stock. The game gained notoriety when an Aussie dad bought his son the $170 game for $10,000 on eBay as a Christmas present. Anyway, I finally got lucky on my most recent trip to JB Hi-fi. Hopefully Keith will be able to tolerate my bad guitar playing skills.

We went to Kun Ming Restaurant on 212 Little Bourke St, Melbourne for dinner as I was yearning for some Chinese food. I haven't had Chinese food for ages, probably 6 weeks or so with the exception of dim sum. As you know, a Chinese will need to have rice some point in time so my body was screaming "rice, rice, rice!".

We each ordered a soup as our starter. It was very tasty and I enjoyed it very much. For our mains, we had claypot beancurd with salted fish and a fried flounder fish with salt, chilli and pepper served with steamed rice of course. They were both delicious.

The flounder was a sensational contrast in texture between the moist fresh fish and crispy golden batter on the outside. The flounder was filleted and carcass was deep fried and used as a presentation bowl. The dish was finished off with fried garlic, chopped chillis, coriander, salt and pepper. It always never fails to attract glances from other tables.

The beancurd or tofu was another genuine dish. The salted fish was soaked for a long time and announced itself with occasional sparks of saltiness. It was as soft as the tofu. The chicken was slightly over tenderised but otherwise nicely balanced without too much liquid as you get in some other restaurants.

We have eaten dinner at Kun Ming 4-5 times and have always enjoyed the Cantonese style dishes. The restaurant was surprisingly busy on a Tuesday night. I would not hesitate to recommend Kun Ming. Not too expensive, tasty and caters to Chinese tastebuds.

No comments: